Paratext 7 project teams must upgrade to Paratext 8.0 together. See the upgrade/migrate section of FAQs for more details.
Known issues exist with the following:
- Availability of Resource Texts in Paratext
- FieldWorks – limited compatibility with Paratext 8
- Keyman 9 – incompatibility with Paratext Live
If you think any of the above may affect you, click here for more information.
Installing Paratext 8
As explained on the Help page, installation is one of several steps when upgrading to Paratext 8.
- Before installation: Register as a user (Paratext 7 users must re-register). See Registration FAQs.
- Download and install Paratext 8. See below.
- After installation: browse the available text resources using File > Download/Install Resources and check whether your team’s preferred resource texts are available in Paratext 8.
- Migrate existing projects to Paratext 8. See Migration FAQs.
Paratext 8.0 Installation
System requirement: Windows Vista or later. (Paratext 8 will not install on Windows XP.)
The following instructions omit obvious steps (for example, “click Next”).
- Note that you do not need to uninstall Paratext 7 or earlier. Both may be installed, but please read the FAQ section if you will continue using both.
- To install while connected to a good Internet connection, download and run the Online installer below. If the installation detects that the .NET 4.5 Framework is needed, it will download it via the Internet if needed. It is about 128 MB. To install on a computer which is not connected to the Internet, please download the larger offline installer which has .NET included.
- To run the Paratext Installer, double-click the downloaded installer file.
- After you agree to the license terms, click Install.
This step might take a few minutes if the installer needs to install the .NET 4.5 Framework on your computer.
If a dialog appears and asks for your permission, or for administrator credentials so the Installer can make changes to your computer, click Yes or provide the credentials as required.
- When the Destination Folder step appears, click Change only if you have a reason to change the default folders for the Paratext program and the Paratext 8 projects on your computer. It is strongly recommended that you accept the defaults. Paratext 8 data must not share the same directory as Paratext 7 data.
- When the install has completed click Finish and then Close.
- The first time you launch Paratext 8 you will need to enter your Paratext 8 registration code. Information on how to obtain this code is on the Registration page.
- After installation: Install your preferred text resources in Paratext 8 using File > Download/Install Resources.
- Migrate existing projects from Paratext 7. For more information, search in Paratext Help for “migration”.
Choosing the right installer (Offline vs. Online)
- The Online file is smaller and may be used if you are installing while connected to the Internet.
- The Offline file is larger and must be used when installing while not connected to the Internet. This is the one you would normally download to install on a different computer.