Paratext 9 helps translators work more efficiently, lets them create better layouts to work more efficiently, and makes it easier to access reference materials using Enhanced Resources.
The Paratext 9.0 Beta is pre-release software. It is likely to have more bugs than a released version, but it is fully supported for projects that choose to use it.
Installing Paratext 9 Beta
If you have Paratext 8 installed, this will not replace it. The installer does not delete Paratext 8 or change it in any way–you can continue to use both Paratext 8 and Paratext 9, but you should not have both open at the same time.
Download and install Paratext 9 Beta. See below.
System requirement: Windows 7 or later with 8GB of RAM. (Paratext will run with 4GB RAM or even less, but it would be better not to run other programs at the same time.)
The following instructions omit obvious steps (for example, “click Next”).
- To install while connected to a good Internet connection, download and run the Online installer below. The installer will only download certain system components if they are not already on your computer. To install on a different computer which is not connected to the Internet, please download the Offline installer. It is larger and includes all the components that may be necessary.
- Double-click the downloaded installer file.
- Agree to the license terms and click Install.
This step might take a few minutes if the installer needs to install system components on your computer.
If a dialog appears and asks for your permission, or for administrator credentials so the Installer can make changes to your computer, click Yes or provide the credentials as required.
- When the Destination Folder step appears, do not change the default unless you have a strong reason for doing so. Paratext 9 uses the same data directory as Paratext 8.
- When the installation has completed click Finish and then Close.
||Use this when installing while online. This file is the only one you need to download because it uses the Internet to download more files if needed during installation.|
||Use this when installing offline. You will need this larger file and the patch below. You will also need to download Text resources for offline installation using the procedure explained here|
||Optional. This file can be used to ensure the installer file is not corrupted. You can use this MD5 and SHA Checksum Utility to validate your installer.|
If you do not have Paratext 8 installed, the first time you launch Paratext 9 you will need to enter your Paratext registration code. Information on how to obtain this code is on the Registration page.
The new menu is found here:
- Install your preferred text resources in Paratext 8 using Paratext > Download/Install Resources.
- Download and install several enhanced resources
- Download the Images and maps resource in the highest resolution that you are able.
- Try opening your favorite Paratext 8 layout using Window > Paratext 8 Saved Layouts
For more help, check out this guide: Introducing Paratext 9