Getting started in Paratext 8
Follow these steps if you are completely new to Paratext, or if you are a Paratext 7 user who has not yet used any version of Paratext 8:
- Register as a user. (Paratext 7 users must re-register.)
- Download and install Paratext 8. Follow the instructions on the Downloads page.
- After installation: Install your preferred text resources in Paratext 8 using File > Download/Install Resources.
- Paratext 7 users only: Migrate existing projects to Paratext 8. See Migration FAQs.
To use an existing project in Paratext 8, you’ll need to also migrate the project. To plan how your team will migrate your project(s), please read the Upgrade/Migrate category in the FAQs. Project migration should only be performed after the entire team does a Send/Receive in Paratext 7 and the administrator has the latest version of the data. Then the team migrates together.
1. Do NOT uninstall Paratext 7 just yet. First, copy your registration code from Paratext 7 under the Tools > Registration Information… menu item. (It is also possible to look up your code by logging into paratext.org.) You must provide this registration code when you register for Paratext 8 so that Paratext will know that you are the same person. The Paratext Registry website will generate a new registration code and will link it to your existing identity. This is important for preserving your access to projects and information about notes you have written or been assigned.
2. To install Paratext 8, follow the instructions on the Downloads page. Enter your new registration code when prompted.
3. To migrate a project from Paratext 7, open it in Paratext 8 by choosing Open Project from the File menu. If it is a shared project, you can also initiate the migration using File > Send/Receive. Paratext will show you instructions for making sure the whole project team migrates together. When finished, you should either uninstall Paratext 7 or else set the PT7 project to read-only mode (under Project Properties and Settings, disable editing).
For further details, search Paratext’s help system for “migration” and read these topics: “Introduction to project migration”, “How do I migrate a project to Paratext 8?”
Documentation and Training
Comprehensive documentation is found in the Paratext Help system. It is best to search Help for answers before looking elsewhere.
Training videos are available on the Paratext channel on Vimeo
Request Help or Report a Problem
To get help or report a problem, see the Contact Support page
Scripture Markup (USFM)
Learn how to edit Scripture using standard format markers.
Paratext Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
See the FAQs page.