Click Getting Started if you are upgrading to Paratext 8 from a previous version.
New and existing users of Paratext both need to register to receive a Paratext 8 registration code. If you have multiple Paratext users, ensure your organisation is registered. Paratext 8 also introduces project registration: only registered projects will be able to access full Paratext functionality.
Paratext is free for all. Registration at registry.paratext.org gives immediate access to the Basic Tier of usage. If you also select and are approved by a qualifying organisation, you will have access to the Translator Tier which enables you to:
- Register Paratext projects.
- Migrate your shared projects from Paratext 7.
- Access restricted Resource Texts.
Choosing the right organisation: When you register, select your local organisation if it exists in the Registry, rather than a regional or global organisation.
- If you are a new Paratext user, your organisation will review whether you have a direct or supporting role in Bible translation. Upon approval, you will receive an email with your new Paratext 8 code.
- If you are an existing Paratext 7 user, you must provide your existing Paratext 7 registration code upon registration. This is in order to preserve access to your Paratext 7 projects.
Independent Translator Status
If you leave the organisation field blank when you register because you don’t see yours in the list, please register your organisation in the Organisation Registration section. But if you are not working with an organisation that can register for the Translator Tier, and you wish to register a project that you will manage and publish, then you can apply to be considered as an independent translator. If accepted, you will be able to able to use the Translator Tier.
Organisation registration grants your organisation’s users the following permissions:
- Register Paratext projects.
- Migrate their existing projects from Paratext 7.
- Access all Resource Texts which your organisation has permission to access.
Registering a New Organisation
An organisation may request to be approved for Paratext use, enabling access to the Translator Tier. It must agree to abide by the FOBAI Translation Basic Principles and Procedures. A person with suitable authority within an organisation should register the organisation. If the organisation has local or regional sub-organisations, register them after the main organisation has been registered. All organisation registration requests will be considered.
Registering a Copyright-Holder
Select this option only if you need to attribute copyright of a project to an organisation which does not yet exist in the Registry. May not register any users or projects.
Project Registration is distinct from User Registration. The registration status of the currently active project window determines your level of access to Paratext features. The level of access can be different for different projects on your computer.
- Basic Tier: Unregistered projects have access to a basic set of Paratext features. Technical support is not provided.
- Translator Tier: For full Paratext functionality, translation projects must be registered. Once registered, projects are reviewed by relevant stakeholders in the Bible translation community. If they are compliant with FOBAI translation standards, they will retain access to the features on the Translator tier, as indicated in the chart below. Team members on registered projects are eligible to receive technical support from the Paratext team.
- Publisher Tier: This tier adds access to high-end publishing tools. Projects that are not in direct competition with existing translation projects will typically be given access to these tools.
The table below lists the differences between the three tiers.
|TIERS OF USE:||Basic Tier||Translator Tier||Publisher Tier|
|Print draft, Export to RTF or Pathway||No||Yes||Yes|
Guess translations, Interlinearizer
|Concordance Builder & Names Index Builder (link)||No||No||Yes|
|Publishing Assistant (link)||No||No||Yes, after taking a training course.|
Some projects do not need to be registered directly:
- Consultant Notes projects do not need to be registered at all.
- Projects which are “Based on” another translation (see Project Properties) do not need to be registered directly because they inherit the registration status of the Base project. Exception: Daughter projects must be registered directly.