Getting started in Paratext
If you are using Paratext 7 or earlier:
- Find you Paratext 7 registration code and upgrade your user registration. If you can’t find your old code you may contact support (See bottom).
- Download and install Paratext. Follow the instructions on the Downloads page.
- After installation: Install your preferred text resources using File > Download/Install Resources.
- You will need help to migrate your data because it may need to be retrieved from a backup. Please contact support (See bottom).
- When finished, you should either uninstall Paratext 7 or else set the PT7 project to read-only mode by disabling editing under Project Properties and Settings.
Paratext versions 8 and above do not share the same data with Paratext 7.6 and earlier versions. If you have 7.6 or an earlier version installed, you should not edit data in it because it can not synchronize with more recent versions.
First time users
- Register for Paratext at https://registry.paratext.org
- Install Paratext by following the instructions on the Downloads page.
- Enter your new registration code when prompted.
Documentation and Training
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Go to our FAQ Page for answers to frequently asked questions. If your question is not listed, you may submit a question at the bottom of that page.
You can find our full list training videos on our Vimeo Paratext channels.
- Paratext in English
- Paratext en français
- Paratext en español
- Paratext em Português
- Paratext Bahasa Indonesia
- Paratext – Русский Язык
The videos are listed in the optimal order for learning about Paratext.
Searching in Videos
If you want to search for a particular video, you can do so as follows:
On the right side of the video channel page, click the Videos link under Browse this Channel (Or click here). That will take you to this listing of all Paratext videos. At the top you will see a magnifying glass: Click it and a search box will appear. Use this to search within the channel. For instance, a search for “terms” brings up seven videos about Biblical terms.
Be sure to check out the videos before requesting support. But if you still need help, try the resources below.
The Paratext Help system inside of Paratext is quite comprehensive. When you have a question, it is helpful to search through the built-in Help for answers. In the process you may learn some new features you didn’t know about! Use the Help menu or the Help search box in Paratext to find help on a topic.
Scripture Markup (USFM)
Learn how to format Scripture in Paratext using Standard Format Markers.
Our support website is primarily for Paratext supporters and trainers. For basic Paratext support, you are encouraged to find someone in your sponsoring organization who may already be using our forum found here: https://support.paratext.org
To use the site, you will need to sign up for an account. If you would like to receive notifications for every post, you may follow these steps:
Click your user image in the top right of the supporters site, and then click on the gear icon to modify your account preferences. There is an option under Emails to enable Mailing list mode if that is what you prefer.
Answers to previous questions are easily searchable, so you may find that your question is answered before you even ask!
Report a problem
The Paratext Help menu has a Report a Problem… option built-in which is the best way to report the issue you are experiencing. Besides your explanation of the problem, the report will include critical information for the developers about your operating system and the version of Paratext you are using.
Make a suggestion
The Paratext Help menu has a Make a Suggestion… option which allows you to send suggested improvements for Paratext.
You may contact us directly, however, we may refer your question to support personnel in your organization. Our support email address is firstname.lastname@example.org